21 Feb What, actually, is a Yoga for Pain Practitioner?
Yoga for Pain is a field of practice that examines the role of yoga in pain care. This could be how it helps reduce pain, or even how it challenges health professionals in their beliefs about pain and what we should do about it.
Yoga for Pain Practitioners, therefore, come from diverse fields and apply the practice in many ways, using some underlying principles. They may be yoga teachers, physiotherapists, social workers, psychologists or youth workers. We have already seen Yoga for Pain Practitioners apply the approach to nursing, aged care, yoga teaching and tertiary hospitals.
While one obvious application is teaching yoga to people with persistent pain, this is just one of many. Yoga for Pain Practitioner Training equips each person to apply the principles and ethics to their professional field. Some never use the word yoga! Here are a few examples:
- A yoga teacher who runs classes in an isolated outer suburb, just for people with pain.
- Yoga for Youth With Pain group courses run by a yoga therapist in a paediatric clinic.
- The psychologist who uses Yoga for Pain skills to ensure her clients are comfortable and self-aware during a consult.
- An aged care physiotherapist who could never use the word yoga with most of her elderly clients, but gets them moving after years of being too scared.
- The OT who recommends a client to the right yoga class, after appropriate inquiry into their expectations, fears and budget.
- A former psychologist presents the evidence for yoga and pain to her local pain clinic.
- The yoga teacher in country Australia who changed her language in general classes after realising someone in the group likely experiences ongoing pain.
Each of these applications is significant on their own. When we put them together we have a network of caring providers implementing an informed, educated and forward-looking approach to enhanced pain care.
To read the full report email [email protected] Or contact us about bringing Yoga for Pain Practitioner Training to your region.